The first 2013-14 addition of Quick Hitters follows:
- Stevens is going to be a tough out come playoff time. The way they play defensively will cause problems for teams that depend on scoring in the half court. Close losses in the Northside Tournament to Brennan and Wagner showed that Stevens can play with anyone in the city. Point guard Antania Newton is looking good after sitting out after transferring from John Jay and will have a Breakout season.
· Can Brennan keep USC bound McKenzie Calvert off of the free throw line? Calvert, like all good scorers, has a kNack for drawing fouls and eating at the free throw line.
· Can Steele turn over Brennan? Brennan is without a true PG and must break the press by committee. If Brennan is uNaffected by full court pressure they will be tough to beat.
· Can Steele manufacture "easy points". Steele has yet to be tested without the services of Kyra Lambert this season. The 'Kyra Effect" did not show up on her personal stat sheet. She Allowed others to score with her defense and constant attacking pressure on the offensive end.
· Can Brennan use its substantial size advantage to control the boards and earN second chance points. Rebounding and limiting Steele's second chance points should not be much of a problem but will Brennan be able to dominate the paint with put backs? Grand Canyon commit Eliza Martinez is shooting 62% and Presbyterian commit Deja Mason is finishing at a 58% clip early.
· Prediction- Calvert will go for 30pts. Tay Boclair will have 20 and 10 brds. But the game will come down to Brennan making perimeter shots vs Steele's zone in order to win. Steele will have to score in transition and get double digits out of 2 more players besides Calvert . The winner will be....
- Wagner has 2 early losses but will be ok as usual late. Kailynn Wilson'14 is doing it early. The kid is athletic enough to play at the D1 level. She is averaging 17pts fresh off of volleyball.