- Incarnate Word is 6-0 in league play with close wins over Antonian and Holy Cross. Incarnate Word is led by Kaela Lippo, who is averaging 12 points per game. Lippo is aided by the very talented sophomore Tori Villareal. Villareal has battled several injuries recently and is appearing to be back to the promising young player that she is.
- Boerne Champion Freshman Heather Hormuth recorded 16 points and 5 rebounds in a blowout win over #9 ranked Clemens last week.
- Madison Freshman Brianna Jones pulled down 18 rebounds against Churchill. She hit the go ahead 3 that put the Mavs up by 1 with less than 2 minutes to go against Roosevelt . The 5'8 lefty is impressive in her pursuit of boards. The skilled guard is playing out of position for the Mavs and her post defense is spirited given her size.
- Wagner's Michelle Rodriguez is visiting Southeastern Louisiana next week.
- The University of Kansas is town tonight see Wagner Big, Arielle Roberson. Could we see a San Antonio connection of Monica Engleman, CeCe Harper and Roberson for the Jayhawks?
- Fox Tech Big, Raven Reyes is averaging a double double with over 14 points and 14 boards a game. I predicted in the preseason that Reyes would lead the city in rebounding.
- Does anybody in the city go harder than John Jay's Erica Donovan? Probably not. I first wrote about Donovan last year when witnessing her basketball intensity in the SAISD tourney for the first time. She goes all in, all the time. A promising and impressionable young guard from Ruters MS was in attendance at the Jay vs. Marshall game last week and sent me a message beginning with " Erica is Beasty!". My reply was simply, "I know".
- Expect Tivy to get the brunt of a ticked off Steele team tonight. The Knights are not accustomed to losing and will definetly be out to show all that the Champion loss was a stumble and not a fall.
- Some good games tonight and tomorrow:
Smithson Valley at Roosevelt( SV won a close game on a clutch shot by Danielle Blagg last )
New Braunfels at MacArthur( The first place team faces the preseason favorite in 26-5A)
East Central at Judson ( Athleticism will be at a premium in this one)
Jay vs O'Conner at Taylor( Two of the best teams in the city lock up in what should be a high scoring contest. The guard play should be a treat to watch)