Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lyndsey Cloman Speaks!!!

Who do you pattern your game after?

If I had to pick one person to pattern my game after it would definitely be my dad. He was my first teacher of the game and he has taught me a great deal in the last 9 years. He played basketball in college and he believes in a lot of the "old school" practices, plays, defense and basics of basketball. He was my first true inspiration and I credit him with the knowledge he's passed on to me about this great sport.

What are your expectations going into your senior year?

My expectations every basketball season (like the last three) are always high. Every year our team has gotten hit hard by graduating seniors but I have confidence that with hard work, patience, and persistence we can be a great team.

How did you end up playing with TeamXpress and what guided your decision?

I started playing AAU basketball in the fourth grade when Coach Patrick Alexander found me playing at my elementary school at St. Peter's Prince of Apostles School. If it wasn't for him I would have never known AAU basketball existed. I give him much thanks for seeing the talent in me that I had not yet seen in myself. I played with Coach Alexander's team, the Texas Breakers for five years. Coach Alexander's philosophy was to always to set a new goal and to get better every year. Going into high school I knew my goal was to be a stronger, versatile post player and I knew I was going to have to work hard to achieve that goal. Little did I know my life was about to change. In the summer of 2005, my dad, mom and I were attending a Silver Stars game and I happened to bump into Coach Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil. We started to chat about basketball ,AAU, my freshman varsity season at Taft and most importantly ....my goals. She said with her knowledge and hard work ethic and my perseverance and commitment to be a better post player, she could help me meet my goals.,,but it wasn't going to come easy. She included my parents in the conversation and she talked about her TeamXpress Foundation Basketball Program and how it provided opportunities for her players to compete at the highest level of competition and at the same time attain an athletic scholarship to a major Division 1 University. I am happy to say my decision to play for Team Xpress and Coach Clarissa was the best choice I made for myself and my future.

What things did you learn from your TeamXpress experience?

The number one thing I learned with Team Xpress was the definition of hard work. It helped me understand and prepare myself for the next level of competition. Coach Clarissa didn't ask for great....she expected it from each and every one us. She knew what each of us were capable of even though we didn't. I'll never forget that.

What was the deciding factor in choosing Oklahoma?

There were many things that attracted me to Oklahoma. They have a top notch Coaching Staff in Coach Sherri Coale, Coach Chad Thrailkill, Coach Jan Ross and Coach Stacey Hansmeyer as well as super athletic and academic programs. Their university is ranked as one of the top schools in the country and their top of the line training facilities are fantastic.Last but not least, the team itself left a very big impression on me. These group of young women are like a huge family. The respect they have for each other is truly genuine. They love life and welcomed me with open arms. I knew this is where I wanted to be.

Favorite Movie?

I have two favorite movies: Beauty and the Beast also Love and Basketball

Favorite thing to do outside of basketball?

My favorite thing to do outside of basketball is to chill with family and friends. My busy schedule helps me to appreciate and enjoy the "down" time when I do get it. It's nice just to be around your friends and enjoy what life has to offer.

What advice would you give the young girls that are trying to follow your path.

For young girls that follow my path, I would tell them that only they can shape their own destiny. What they do today will echo in their future. Don't let anyone tell you that cannot reach your goals....just remember it takes hard work to get there.

Who do you consider the Top 3 teams vying for the District Championship?

In Northside district there is always a lot of competition. The district this year has teams that are in the rebuilding process as well as teams that have post players but no guards and visa versa guards with no post players...so I think it's going to be interesting.

Who is your favorite player?


Lisa Leslie