The Churchill Fall League gave a sneak peek into some of the front runners for best in the city. Here are my early pick for the city's best.
1. Jay-The best team in the city last year is still stacked. They have the most effective player in the city in Erica Donovan. No player exerts her will like E.D. However, the Mustangs took a huge hit with the loss of super sophomore, Destiny Amezquita to a knee injury. They still feature a good back court of sharp shooter Kiarra Tayler and freshman Antania"T" Newton. The have size with 6 footers, Raven Reyes, Aleeya Harris, and Vanessa Orr.
2. Steele- The loss of Meighan Simmons and Olivia Patterson to Tennessee and Southern Illinois were huge hits to Steele but they are still loaded. They have three Division 1 players on the roster in Taylor Calvert, Elena Gumbs and freshman phenom, McKenzie Calvert. Team chemistry should not be an issue because all thee players have played together for years on the club scene. The also have a solid veteran in Lauren Zoldey. Steele is now dancing with the big girls by moving up to 5A and bumping heads with Judson and Wagner.
3. Wagner- Coach Camacho lost her coach on the floor in USC pg, Len'Nique Brown. However, Thunderbirds are not lacking for talent and have the best 1-2 punch in the city with Arielle Roberson and Ebony Watkins. Kiarra Rivera should have a huge year on the boards and newcomer Ashley Ross is a future star.
4. Churchill- With Stacy Moore retired, a lot of eyes will be on the Chargers. Danielle Espinoza, Carly Trusdale and company are now joined by one of the best guards in the city, Leslie Vorpahl. If Saturday's fall league schedule is any indication, Churchill will be a tough guard for opposing teams. They move the ball well and play a trapping style.
5. Stevens- Coach Anissa Hastings will hit the ground running. She brings her trademark intensity to a team that is loaded with ballers. Alexis Govan is as intense as her coach. Shooter Alexis Sendejo will stretch the defense. Elexus Allen is long and will contribute as a sophomore. This will be the best half court defensive team in the city!
26-5A -The strongest district?
Roosevelt- They feature two Division 1 players in Asha Hampton-Finch and Niaga Mitchell- Cole. They have solid post play in power forwards Jasmine Davidson and Markia Thomas.
Reagan- The Rattlers will be tough this year. Sabrina Berry can play! Add Marissa Rodriguez, Lisa Kuster, Moriah Mack and Wendy Knight to mix and you may have a Top 5 team in the city. Add Terry Barton to that mix and odds are you WILL have a Top 5 team in the city.
Smithson Valley- Danielle Blagg is intent on making the play offs this year. Veterans Alison Salmon and Ashley Bryand will make SV a contender in 27-4A.