Wednesday, December 10, 2008

An Elite Dad On Coaching

The following is a comment from an Elite Dad on the Middle School Madness Blog:


Good stuff on Middle School coaching. My favorite back then, was I am really the volleyball coach, but I was assigned to do basketball as well. That to me was just an excuse to say that I am really a poor basketball coach, but I have to do it anyway.

In my opinion there are a lot of high school coaches out there, that are also so so. They have learned the game out of a book. They do not adjust, and do not adapt to what is happening to their teams. All the new techniques, and ways to play the game have surpassed a lot of the old school thinking. But my biggest complaint is not being prepared. That to me is unacceptable. A lot of coaches out there do not know who their opponents are, or what is being done to their team, until they are losing by twenty. If I took that approach in my business, I would be bankrupt. That is why it is not only on the kids to constantly work hard, it is also important that coaches work hard as well. Lazy is never an acceptable excuse in anything you do. You cannot inspire others, if you do not understand what is happening around you. It creates zero credibility.

Coach Camacho at Wagner is not lucky, she is successful for a reason. Teaching kids correctly is admirable, inspiring kids to be the best they can be, is what makes her so good. She is always prepared, always adjusts to game time situations, and does not allow her kids to accept being second best. When kids see that work ethic, and are around those leadership qualities they cannot help but be successful. That is what creates the great leaders of tomorrow. How many times do you hear successful people say that a teacher, or coach is what helped them understand how to knock down walls, and build things that last. Unfortunately there are very few of her type to go around.