Friday, July 24, 2009

MOTIVATION!!!!

Let me paraphrase the street poet Clifford Harris.

Motivation
While others are slacking, it only inspires(me)
Motivation
All the animosity is fuel to my fire
Motivation
Everyone plotting to capture the Crown dropping
Motivation
But I refuse to slow down and I am not stopping
Motivation
Naysayers do not stop my show
Motivation
I must inform you that I do not stop, I GO
It's Motivation
The envious can not make me suffer
In fact they make me stronger and make me tougher
MOTIVATION!
Clifford Harris words truly apply to the basketball. But, this short blog is not directed at the uninspired ballers out there. This quick thought of the day is intended for the parents of those uncommitted ball players. The thought of the day is this:
  • "If you(the parents) can not effectively MOTIVATE your child, how do you expect a coach/teacher to motivate them?"
Now, all coaches must possess certain communication and psychological skills that can inspire their players at times, but to expect coaches/teachers to constantly motivate your child to perform is rather silly. Elite basketball is the epitome of competition. To compete is to " strive consciously or unconsciously for an objective".(Websters) I have heard of parents sending their undisciplined kids to military school for discipline but what logical parent sends their unmotivated kid to a highly competitive environment and expects a coach to teach them to strive? A coach can not accomplish in a few hours of a week what parents have failed to instill throughout an entire adolescent lifetime.
In the words of the great John Wooden:
  • "I continually stress to my players that all I expect from them at practice and in games is their maximum effort."
and
  • "I do not want players who do not have a keen desire to win and do not play hard and aggressively to accomplish that objective".
Now let's all say it again, MOTIVATION!!!