Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Victoria Willems and Thomas Jefferson

MacArthur standout and SA Comets Elite forward, Victoria Willems has chose to accept a full scholarship to attend William and Mary. The prestigious institution plays at the Division 1 level and is a member of the Colonial Athletic Association. Among the alumni of William and Mary are a couple of our nations founding fathers, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

Victoria was kind enough to share some thoughts with us on her decision.

She reportedly had several other offers but based her decision on the following:


"Its kind of funny how it all happened, but one night after school I was reading my text book from history and it had a little passage about the first two schools established in America, William and Mary being one of them, and Harvard being the other. Immediately I recognized the name from one of the recruiting letters I had been receiving in the mail. After asking my parents about it, we began our research. Soon enough I was taking an unofficial visit to William and Mary, and when I walked onto the campus I immediately loved it, and what it had to offer. I really loved not only the athletics but the academics, which was key in making my decision. Before we decided to take the visit, my parents and I had narrowed down schools by creating a criteria for academics first, and then the stability of the athletic program (how long the head coach had worked there), and of course style of play. We made sure to attend one of their basketball games to see how they played, as well as how the coach directed the team. Throughout the recruiting process I heard nothing but good things about the coach as well as their program. I took a few other unofficial visits as well, but throughout them all, William and Mary was in the back of my mind.

I would definitely recommend taking an unofficial visit to any school you might be interested in. This way you can make sure you feel comfortable with the coaching staff. Try and ask some of the players that have been attending the school if they have enjoyed their experience. Also make sure you watch as many games as you can, to try and see what kind of style the team plays. Getting recruited and making a decision based on the unknown is hard. Make sure you do as much research about the college you are interested in as possible, and it will definitely ease the process, and make you feel comfortable you made the right decision.
"

Victoria Willems



Congrats to the Willems' family and the SA Comets Elite!